Termites are terrifying pests to discover in your home, but at least they have the common courtesy to eat the wood that they destroy. Carpenter ants don't eat wood though, so they're both destructive and wasteful while they carve their way through the walls of your Eagle home. Nobody wants to deal with the repairs that come with carpenter ant infestations, so it's important to know how to get rid of carpenter ants and how to keep them away. It's difficult to spot the differences between signs of carpenter ants and termites, but a licensed Eagle pest control technician will be able to help if you've already discovered signs of an infestation.
Signs Of Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants come in multiple different sizes and colors, from 1/8 to 1/2 of an inch in length, and any color from dark brown, red, black, or a mixture of black and red. Carpenter ants in Eagle are more commonly black in color, but that doesn't help to narrow identification any further. The easiest way to identify carpenter ants is by their heart-shaped heads.
Signs of carpenter ants are even more difficult to identify since they're not only misidentified as termite damage, but they're also mistaken for regular household debris:
- Pinholes in walls, floorboards, and wooden fixtures.
- Piles of sawdust-like material, or frass, on the outside of exit holes.
- Shed wings around door frames, window frames, and the foundation of your home.
- Trails of black ants to food sources from exit holes.
- Wood that sounds hollow when knocked on or tapped.
- Overly squeaky floorboards.
- Swollen door and window frames.
- Intricate maze-like patterns in wood and cellulose-rich material.
- Sagging, drooping, and discolored ceilings and drywall.
- Dry, crumbling wooden fixtures.
The biggest differences between termite and carpenter ant infestations are the appearances of their wood galleries and the likelihood of noticing their presence. Termites stay within the walls, but carpenter ants seek out food sources for their colonies, and carpenter ant galleries are much smoother in comparison to termite galleries.
The Extent Of Damage Carpenter Ants Can Do To Your Property
Even though carpenter ants don't eat wood, they still inflict a lot of damage to the structural integrity of homes and buildings. Depending on the size of the colony and location of the nest, these ants will compromise weight-bearing beams, floorboards, and the skeletal structures of homes in only a few months, and untreated infestations will create satellite colonies that inflict even more damage. The best way to minimize damage is with the help of reliable Eagle pest control from RAM Pest Control.
How To Completely Get Rid Of Carpenter Ants
Carpenter ants are dangerous and expensive pests to have in your home, so you don't want to take chances on less dependable solutions. The best way to get rid of carpenter ants for good is with the help of our pest technicians at RAM Pest Control. We provide thorough comprehensive inspections, always use the highest quality pest control products in our treatments, and offer helpful tips to reduce aspects around your home that attract carpenter ants.
How To Keep Carpenter Ants From Coming Back
Prevention is the most important step in protecting your home and property and, while RAM Pest Control also provides preventative treatments, there's nothing wrong with getting proactive about prevention on your own. Carpenter ants are attracted to high levels of moisture, decaying wood, and easily accessible food sources, so reducing these aspects around your home will help to keep carpenter ants away:
- Coat outdoor wooden structures with sealant or paint.
- Reduce as much wood-to-soil contact around your property as possible.
- Address moisture issues around your home and property – aerate the soil, fix leaky pipes, and repair extensive water damage.
- Seal up any cracks and gaps around the exterior of your home, from foundation to roof.
- Replace weather-stripping around doors and windows.
- Keep pantry foods stored in airtight containers.
- Never leave food or dirty dishes laying out overnight.
Prevention isn't a reliable way to keep pests like carpenter ants from infesting your home, but professional ant control from RAM Pest Control will keep your home safe from dangerous and nuisance invaders. Get in contact with us today to learn more about our treatment options.