Did you know that it’s not just adorable pets like cats and dogs that are mostly dependent on humans for survival? While they might not need us in the same way that our pets do, mice depend on people by using our homes for easy access to shelter, food, and water. This dependence is why mice in Vail are such a widespread problem. And, they aren’t just a nuisance pest either. Mice pose significant dangers, so knowing how to get effective rodent control is key.
What Mice In Vail Look Like
Mice are small rodents that are only about four to six inches long, including their tails. They are a brownish-grey color with cream-colored underbellies. They have large ears and eyes in proportion to their bodies and long, thin tails.
The Damages And Destruction House Mice Cause
House mice are destructive pests. They can chew through many materials, from wires and drywall to plastic to wood. This means they are able to destroy plumbing, electrical systems, and other structural elements of your home. They can also create holes around the exterior of a home to gain access inside. Mice only need a hole the size of a dime, so preventing them is difficult.
Along with the risks of property damage, mice can also create many health risks for you and others in your household. They can spread diseases such as salmonella and tularemia, and their urine, droppings, and fur can lead to hantavirus, allergic reactions, and asthma attacks. While not all infestations will get you sick, the risks are high, so getting rodent control is a better option.
How You Can Prevent Mice
Rodent control isn’t easy, especially when it comes to mice, since they can easily find ways into a building. But, you can deter them by removing or reducing the factors that attract them in the first place. They seek out easy access to water and food, so it’s best to focus on these issues.
Here are tips and tricks you can follow:
- Reduce humidity problems by fixing leaky plumbing and using dehumidifiers. Remove standing water from the property and ensure that rainwater can drain properly by clearing gutters.
- Clean up food and drink spills right away. This includes when eating outdoors as well as inside the house.
- Keep kitchen spaces clean as much as possible as mice will be attracted to food sources.
- Get metal coverings for chimney and vent openings.
- Store any pet food inside the house and in sealed containers.
- Repair holes in the walls and foundation using steel wool or other products that mice can’t chew through.
- Get help from residential pest control experts.
The Most Effective Way To Remove Mice
If mice are already around your home, get in touch with the residential pest control experts at RAM Pest Control. We offer rodent prevention and control services that you can count on.
Since mice are so pervasive and difficult to deal with, the safest and most effective way to deal with them is with help from the pros. We have the experience and tools to remove them once and for all. Give us a call today to learn about pest control options or to request a quote.